Thursday 22 October 2015

September 2015

We have been so busy of late that I am still playing catch up on my blog!
Our son returned to uni for his final year.
 We were very fortunate to have a gloriously sunny day for the trip to Birmingham and we enjoyed a wander around the city,
 discovering some of the owls on the sculpture trail.
 J has moved into new accommodation for his final year.  Home seems quiet with my boy not around!
At the beginning of the month I received some happy post from Helen of Curious Handmade.  Earlier in the year I won a prize for a KAL and Helen has sent this gorgeous Skein yarn to me.  I have been wanting to try Skein yarn for a while and I'm itching to cast something on with it, but I have some other projects on the go that I must finish first!
 I was bitten by the sewing bug over the summer and started my Artisan Apron by Janet Clare.
 I have been decorating it before sewing the pieces together.
At the moment I am attaching these mini doilies to the top of the apron.
I have also made a brooch to go on the top.
The main project I have been working on is my Faded Roses Shawl aka Helen's Summertide MKAL.  It is now completed, but I will post that another day.
During September, Thread was held at Farnham Maltings.  Sad to say I was a little disappointed with this show; it didn't have the same vibe as Unravel and the market hall was half empty of stalls.  I did purchase a vintage darning mushroom
and these fat quarters.  I had to have the snail fabric!
We had some very heavy rain mid September,
when it was best to stay curled up indoors!
 When the sun came out again we ventured into the garden to plant up the winter pots and baskets.

I discovered this tiny common lizard on the patio.  Maurice was interested too!
 At the allotment we have grown some fantastic vegetables this year.
 I have roasted a lot of the golden beetroot and have made some spiced beetroot pickle with some of it.
 We have harvested our pumpkins and squashes from the older allotment.
 Butternut squash is a favourite of mine, so I'm happy with this haul.
 The sunshine has continued to brighten our days and we have taken advantage with a few day trips and found some fabulous fungi, which will be the subject of my next post!

No comments: