Friday 17 October 2014

Autumn in Our Garden

I actually started this post before we went on our trip to Iceland, but I didn't get around to posting it up as I did some last minute knitting of hat and mitts for myself to wear in Iceland!
~
October means it's time for us to harvest the pumpkins from the old allotment.  This one is destined to be our Jack O'Lantern. 

 This is our harvest of strangely shaped butternut squashes! :)
We had some glorious sunny weather at the beginning of October and I took full advantage of it by working at the new allotment planting early-sprouting purple broccoli,
garlic "Marco"
and over-wintering "Red Winter" onions.
I also worked in the garden after work and on my days off.
I have replanted my hanging basket and pot by our front door.
On the patio I replanted the pots with winter plants, although the summer ones were still in bloom I felt that colder weather could be just around the corner, so it was time to change them.

The back garden is still looking lovely, although a little wetter today as we have had heavy rain this week.


When we visited Perch Hill I bought these tulip bulbs and have planted them in the large pots that I grew the sweet peas in during the summer.
They are the Brandy Snap Tulip Mix
I have also planted Narcissus "Delight" and Scilla Siberica with the tulip bulbs and added violas and a dwarf wallflower "Harlequin" to each pot.
I have decorated them with my homegrown "Jack Be Little" pumpkins.
These are edible, so they are only being used as decorations until the frosts.









I still have some roses in the garden.  This one "Fairy" will continue to flower until the frosts arrive.

There is even a foxglove in bloom!
I have started digging over the flower beds and removing the dying foliage.
In other patio pots I have planted violas and cyclamens.
I buy these cheaply from the supermarket each year
and they always grow well.
In the greenhouse the tomato plants were nearing the end of their fruiting days, so I have removed them and hung up the remaining trusses on wire for them to ripen.

The chillis are still ripening.
 I have moved my fuchsias into the greenhouse for protection from the cold and I still get to enjoy the flowers.  I also have geranium cuttings and plants on the staging.
 The chrysanthemum cuttings, Abundant Collection, that I bought in the spring from Sarah Raven are now starting to bloom in the greenhouse.  Unfortunately they are covered in aphids, so I am having to spray them with white oil!
Orange Alloiuse,

 John Riley

and Froggy have flowered so far.
 I carefully check the blooms over for aphids before bringing them indoors!
i still have half of the garden to work on before the winter, but unfortunately my back is bad this week, so I can't do any digging or heavy work! :(  Guess I will just have to sit and knit! :)

3 comments:

thesnailgarden said...

Hi Jooles, thank you for stopping by. My back isn't any better yet, so I won't be doing any gardening for a while I think! Pj x

Jane said...

Your garden is so lovely Pj, the little pumpkins look great on the stakes; the big allotment pumpkins look good too and I love the colours of the chrysanthemums. I hope your back is better soon.
Jane xx

thesnailgarden said...

Hi Jane, thank you for visiting my blog. Luckily my back is improving, I just need to be careful from now on. Pj x