Friday 21 August 2009

Holidays - Norfolk

For our second holiday week, we stayed with my parents in Norfolk. We were blessed with another week of sunshine and spent a lot of time out walking, visiting old haunts and some new ones.


11th August 2009


Blakeney Esker/Wiveton Down
This was the first time that I had been up here, although I do remember learning about this in geography class at school. An Esker is a ridge of sand and gravel left by a glacial river when it melted. It was a hot day and we had a picnic on the bench in the photo.

There were lots of butterflies - the most that I have seen in a long while.

Blakeney

A favourite place of mine to visit. I would love to live in North Norfolk.

Big Open Skies of Norfolk
A walk on the disused Langham Airfield.






Warham Camp
The best preserved Iron Age fort in East Anglia and a rare chalkland habitat.


Chalkland Flora


Someone's watching you!

12th August 2009

Aspects of Norwich - Part 1
We decided to be tourists in my home city!
I have called this part 1 as there will be more photos when we next visit.

Norwich Cathedral


13th August 2009

The Broads

Treefolk at Salhouse Broad.



Salhouse, Ranworth, Hickling Broads and Womack Staithe

I used to go sailing in a Norfolk White boat, like the one pictured here, but that was before I met my husband ;)


Flora and Birdlife on The Broads



Ranworth Church

Going up ...
89 spiral steps and 2 ladders to the top of the 100ft tower.
The Rood Screen in Ranworth Church is possibly the finest in the country as it was only partially defaced during the Reformation.



14th August 2009

St Remigius Church Hethersett
This church is a special place for me as it has many family connections.


A church was mentioned on this site in the Doomsday Book of 1086. The present church is 14thC with 15thC additions.



Church Farm - this was a walk down memory lane as my grandparent's worked here when I was growing up and I visited the farm many times with them.
Jay decided that blackberries smelled better than the farm!



Great Melton
All Saints Church with the tower of St Marys in the churchyard.

A few of our walks included finding caches. This pirate's treasure trove was the last find of our holiday. Our total of caches found is now 120 - I'm not addicted, honestly!




No comments: