Tuesday 23 December 2008

The Christmas Baking Tradition

A big part of Christmas for myself is baking lots of goodies for my family. I started with Vanilla Snap Biscuits, shaped like snowflakes and encrusted with sugar crystals and a Chocolate Fruit Cake.

The cake is a Nigella-recipe but I alter it by only using a quarter of the orange juice, otherwise I find it is too wet and takes forever to cook. This will be dusted with icing sugar and cocoa powder and decorated with chocolate-coated coffee beans and little, icing stars.


Cheese and Onion Rolls.

With a Delia filling, for the vegetarian (me).

Sausage Rolls.

For the carnivores!

Fairy Cakes (to be decorated) and Gingerbread Angels.

Fig and Walnut Slice.

A new recipe this year.

Cheesy Stars.

And finally, I decorated the cake. This was not the design I intended to do this year. It was supposed to be Santa and his reindeers flying in the sky towards the moon. A little over ambitious! The reindeers were okay but the sleigh looked like something that a toddler would make out of Playdough!! My snowman may have silver, twig arms by the end of today, but it was almost midnight by the time I had finished yesterday so they had to wait.

Wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.

2 comments:

And what? said...

Would you like a step son. I wish you were my mum. I'm so hungry now looking at that yummy cake.

thesnailgarden said...

Sorry, I'm afraid that my own son has beaten you to the cake, half has disappeared already!